SELOUS Game Reserve

Only Greenland National Park at 972,000 square km( 375,398square miles),beats Selous.Covering 50,000 square kilometers, Selous Game Reserve still arguably the biggest area of protected pristine wilderness left in Africa, but keep in mind that most of it is off-limits to tourists. The reserve is bisected from west to east by Tanzania’s biggest river, the Rufiji,and only the area north of the river is open to visitors. So although it’s teeming with game,it forms only about 5% of the total park. The other 95% is mainly leased to hunting concessions.

Explore SELOUS Game Reserve

There’s is nothing quite like watching a heard of elephants showering,playing,and generally having fun as you sit in a boat in the middle of a lake or river. As you watch, lots of other games including buffalo will also amble down to the banks to quench their thirst. If giraffes are your favorite animals,Selous will delight you because it’s one of the few places in Africa where you can see the big heard of up to 50.
Another Selous bonus especially if you have been bouncing about in a game vehicle for days in other parks, is that you can walk in the Selous,not alone but with an armed ranger. Walking through the bush or beside a river is rare opportunity to get up close with the nature, and you never know what’s around the next corner.